Behind The Redwood Curtain

A discussion board for Humboldt County

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Balloon Track Zoning?!

Eureka Balloon Track Zoning?!

Does anybody know how a polluted 100+ year-old piece of industrial property managed to be zoned for public/park use when it was still a railroad storage yard owned by a private company? The big issue now seems to be that a zoning change is required for any development other than public/parks. Who is/was playing zoning games? Did the railroad request the zoning change?

2 Comments:

At 6:11 PM, Blogger gb05 said...

A follow-up to my own question:

I asked a few people around town & got a reply from Howard Rein:

"I'm no expert on zoning but as near as I can recollect the 'Public' designation is the result of some law that encompasses the railroad type of
use and has an impact on how it is taxed. Cemeteries also are zoned public I believe. I think the RR reasoning is similar to the assessing of public utilities, such as PG&E wherein their property crosses city, state, county, etc. lines. I do not think it something that the RR asked for. Hope I have it straight on this.
-- Howard Rien"

 
At 7:23 AM, Blogger gb05 said...

New info re my original question:

In the Times-Standard on-line version, look in the Opinion section for the article "Clearing up Balloon Tract concerns," by Brian Morrissey.

The article says, in part:
"When the General Plan/Local Coastal Plan were adopted by the city in 1984, the site was already vacant and underutilized. During that time, the city elected to zone the property 'Public' to provide itself the opportunity to consider any future uses for the site. The city has always contemplated, at some point, a zone change for the Balloon Tract."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home